Intensive Camp for Kids with SM (3-9 years old)
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN FOR SUMMER 2017
Summer Session – August 28-Sept. 1, 2017
Winter Session – MLK Weekend – January 12-15, 2018
Mighty Mouth Kids is the SM Group Intensive model that Dr. Kurtz pioneered as the Brave Buddies model at the NYU Child Study Center in 2009 and later brought to the Child Mind Institute in 2010.
KPCPC is committed to improving the lives of children with selective mutism (SM) and their families. We are constantly developing new ways to spread awareness about SM, enhance treatment outcomes and improve long-term functioning, and disseminate our resources and knowledge to others.
Highlights over the years include:
- Dr. Kurtz trained team of professionals in 10 different locations to replicate this innovative model including 8 US sites, as well as teams in Canada and Hong Kong.
- Professionals from all over the world have come to study the program with Dr. Kurtz.
- This SM treatment model was featured on ABC’s Nightline program and PBS’s Keeping Kids Healthy.
- Selective Mutism Learning University was created by the KPCPC Team as the first and only web-based course to teach caregivers, teachers, and other professionals the same skills that are used in the Mighty Mouth Kids program.
- Mighty Mouth Kids is continually revised based on ongoing program evaluation; for example we recently added live parent coaching to help with generalization.
What is Mighty Mouth Kids?
- Intensive group treatment for 3-9 year olds with SM
- Replicates a school/camp setting with 1:1 counselor to camper ratio (allows goals and needs to be individualized)
- All activities involve practicing verbalizations with adults and peers, with the primary goal being to generalize talking to all people, in all places, during all activities
- Parent training and live parent coaching are also included
Fees & Administrative Details
- The costs for Mighty Mouth are divided into three parts:
- First is an initial screening/intake session with a therapist. If we decide your child is not appropriate for this program, we will refund half the fee for that session and provide you recommendations we think are appropriate. If we agree that Mighty Mouth Kids is a good fit, we will then schedule your child’s Lead-In sessions – the sessions to fade them into talking to our counselors.
- The costs for the Lead-In sessions will vary depending on severity and how many hours are needed for your child to respond to the techniques to be able to start talking with us. This usually varies from 2-6 hours .
- The cost of the onsite 5-day intensive group program is $3000.
- Payment plans and financial aid are available on a limited, need basis.
- Insurance reimbursement: We do not participate in any insurance plans but gladly provide you the detailed, itemized documentation for you to submit to your insurance company.
The Science Behind Mighty Mouth Kids
- Dr. Kurtz serves on the Science Advisory Board of the Selective Mutism Association SMA)
- Dr. Kurtz and colleagues have published on the science of the Mighty Mouth model in various publications including Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review and In Focus as well as being written up in the NY Times and Scientific American Mind.
- Research supporting the model has been presented at numerous professional conferences including the annual meetings of the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA), Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT), the Selective Mutism Association (SMA), and the American Psychological Association (APA).
- PCIT International produces a training DVD/video of Dr. Kurtz’ model PCIT for Selective Mutism
To Get More Information:
- Complete the request section below and a staff member will be in touch within one business day.
- Contact the SM Intensive Program Coordinator directly at 212.658.0110, exit. 124 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
To Become a Counselor: Visit our Training webpage.
If you are interested in our WeSpeak program for older children with SM (10-14 years old), please click here to go to our WeSpeak webpage.
Please enter your name and email for further information: